The Arabic Literature in English site ArabLit has revealed its short list of five blind-selected stories translated from Arabic to English
The ArabLit Story Prize may not be the biggest literary award out there, but as a guide to Arab literature translated into English it’s invaluable. And the 2020 award shortlist singles out authors from Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Syria, and Egypt.
The five shortlisted titles are:
- With a Beard and Mustache, by Ahmed Abdulatif (Egypt), translated by Sherehan Saad
- Phantom of the Sands, by Maqbul al-Alawi (Saudi Arabia), translated by Andrew Leber
- As Per Job Description, by Bilal Fadl (Egypt), translated by Mahmoud Younes
- Tunnels, by Hadiya Hussein (Iraq), translated by Shakir Mustafa
- The Defeat, by Zakaria Tamer (Syria), translated by Aidan Kaplan
ArabLit has all the details about the stories, the authors, and the translators.
All the shortlisted stories will be published in the Winter 2020 issue of ArabLit Quarterly.